Thursday, July 24, 2008

Senior Thesis




This series is called A Few Cards Short of a Deck. It has been a great opportunity to play with the non-traditional portrait, and to practice blending portraiture with illustration. It began with an idea for a self-promotional piece, a self-portrait designed to look like a Queen of Hearts playing card. This idea was quickly followed by the realization that I wanted to create an entire deck of my own. The first step was to create a pattern for the back. Getting this pattern done first helped determine the style/theme of all the face cards: tattoos. I decided for my thesis just to focus on the four Queens, portraits of my lovely roommates. I also had the time to design an Ace of Spades which, like traditional decks, bears a unique logo.


No comments: